Requests for Guides and Labs

Started by deanwebb, February 06, 2016, 08:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Is there something that you want to know more about, and you'd like an expert here to help you get into it? Post your requests for what you'd like to see here, and we'll be happy to teach!

:professorcat: at your service.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Nerm

I personally would love to see some "network design" discussions (eg. best practices, absolute no-no's, etc). Expert experiences on what works, what doesn't, and such can be very valuable to us younger members.

deanwebb

Quote from: Nerm on February 08, 2016, 08:20:35 AM
I personally would love to see some "network design" discussions (eg. best practices, absolute no-no's, etc). Expert experiences on what works, what doesn't, and such can be very valuable to us younger members.

I can do some stuff on security. I'll get a ball rolling on that one...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

flipmode

How about VACL and Private VLANs labs?  :awesome:

deanwebb

Quote from: flipmode on February 24, 2016, 06:43:43 AM
How about VACL and Private VLANs labs?  :awesome:

I'm in security, so none of my home gear supports private VLANs. Also, *I'll* have to learn about them some more. :)

Buuuuuut, you gave me a challenge...

:challenge-considered:

Reggle

deanwebb

Quote from: Reggle on February 24, 2016, 11:53:12 AM
Topic hijack, but my blog did cover PVLAN design already: https://reggle.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/private-vlans-where-to-deploy-them/

Totally gonna read that blog, even if it's not about security. :banana:

dipenshah

I am very soon going to get very active on this topic. I have an access to a lab from 2nd March (hopefully). It has lot of donated devices. Here's a link of the lab and devices available in general: https://www.rit.edu/cast/ectet/redcom-telecommunications-systems-lab

This lab is almost unused for years and I want to start it and make it one of the best labs! I am going to make a detailed list of available devices and post it here. I will need all you help to build some topologies and projects using equipments I have here.

My goal is to work on these technologies, create some projects which may help future students to learn and use technologies I worked on.

I am new to networking, willing to work hard and have an access to these devices! I just need your help to guide me :)

deanwebb

Absolutely. There aren't a lot of good, free, unpirated learning resources out there, and I'd like this site to fix that situation.

routerdork

Are you looking to have video type stuff? Posts? Or blogs? I ask this because at that place which we don't speak of mods had added a blog page so that members could submit a new post to share on the group blog. I was trying to think of a way we could organize these things like by topic or tags for easier searching.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

Quote from: routerdork on February 26, 2016, 10:54:54 AM
Are you looking to have video type stuff? Posts? Or blogs? I ask this because at that place which we don't speak of mods had added a blog page so that members could submit a new post to share on the group blog. I was trying to think of a way we could organize these things like by topic or tags for easier searching.
I set up the networking-forums group on YouTube/Google for video uploads. As for blogs, I would love to be able to have the ability to "share" posts with member blogs, so that a post on the blog = an update or a post here. This forum is 100% member-supported, so I am very open to members, well... uh... *supporting* it. Not via cash, but via contributions and content.

Part of the issue with integrating wordpress blogs and SMF forums is getting the programming to work. I just saw a pretty gnarly set of code changes that could do the trick, with the risk of them getting undone every time the forums got upgraded, since they're not package code mods.

I'd like to keep this area for requesting labs and how-tos and I'll open up a discussion for blogs and other content integration.

dipenshah

Hi All,

I need some basic (my first lab) labs to work on.

I have decided to spend at least 2 hours a day in our college Lab working on devices.

I need some suggestions how/what should I start with.

@Deanwebb is it possible to create a section dedicated to lab only. I mean everyone here can suggest me a lab for a day and I can start working on it and document it (as in steps I performed for the each lab).

Dipen

SimonV

GNS3vault has a very large number of free labs. You can quite easily recreate them on phyiscal equipment

http://gns3vault.com/

Nerm

Since my new job uses MPLS I guess I need to get more familiar with it.

wintermute000

Read "MPLS fundamentals", run through the INE labs for CCIE RS (dunno if your job needs you to go as in-depth as CCIE SP? The RS labs should be enough depth for most enterprise MPLS deployments / 'normal' L3VPN?) then go and do a JNCIS-SP.

Once you run through it in juniper-speak, the protocol level understanding should be absolutely rock solid.

If you need the CCIE SP level stuff (L2VPN, inter-carrier MPLS, Multicast over MPLS-VPN ARGH) then I'm no good to you LOL